Logan and I are breakfast people.
We will eat pancakes, waffles, and French toast for all 3 meals. In fact, our go-to, quick dinner is French toast.
This recipe is not necessarily “quick” but it is easy. Prepare it the night before for breakfast, or in the morning for dinner – then all you’ve got to do is pop it in the oven.
I used to make this recipe verbatim from Frugal Foodie Mama but had to make some modifications when Logan was diagnosed with food allergies. Along the way, I’ve also made some other changes.
Today I prepared it in the morning so that we could have it ready after the afternoon’s activities – the beach.
And this lovely English muffin French toast bake was waiting at home for us, simply waiting to pop in the oven, while we enjoyed Lake Superior.
English Muffin French Toast Bake
- 6 English muffins
- 3 eggs
- Coconut milk (the canned variety)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dash of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
- Sugar to top
- Spray or butter a 9 x 11 pan.
- Dice English muffins and place into pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix eggs, coconut milk, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour over English muffins. Ensure all English muffins have egg coating on them. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and let sit over night or for several hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat to 350.
- To prepare topping, melt butter, then mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour over English muffins and spread with knife or spatula if needed.
- Finally – sprinkle sugar to taste on top of the bake. I like to use Sugar in the Raw or a similar sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. If desired, broil for 2 minutes for a caramelized topping.
A tip for you all – don’t use “light” or otherwise “wimpy” English muffins – you may get a soggy bake. Today we used Rudi’s. It obviously doesn’t have to be organic but it should be substantial.