We typically grocery shop on Sunday mornings. As much as I loathe shopping at Walmart, a lot if it is done there. Given the fact that I'm currently not working, it makes it easier to shop for deals.
We also buy several things each week at the Marquette Food Co-op. If I could afford it, I'd buy all our groceries there. There are certain foods that I love and that Logan loves that we find there.
Which is great – our shopping has changed since we discovered Logan's allergies.
That being said, it is a misconception that food allergies = expensive, organic food. Certainly, I equated food allergies with pricy food. There are some foods and brands that are pricy, yes, but if you watch labels, it isn't as bad as you think.
In fact, our grocery bill has increased minimally.
I have always bought certain foods organic already. I have always purchased certain foods at a bargain. My shopping habits have not changed since Logan's diagnosis. What has changed? A few things that we buy – and if it's a pricier item, I watch for sales and/or coupons an stock up!
Here's some items on Logan's list!
- Fruit: I always buy a wide variety. Logan is picky and typically only eats bananas, apples, and pineapple. I continually put other choices on his plate though.
- Vegetables: he likes raw carrots if he has hummus or salsa to dip them. He'll eat almost any vegetable if it's in soy-free stirfry sauce.
- GoGoSqueez applesauce. I buy giant boxes. He loves them. The bigger boxes are pricier but when you divide it out, are cheaper per pouch. Plus, all that's in these applesauces is fruit.
- Fruit snacks. I buy giant boxes of these as well. Although they aren't my favorite snacks with their added colors and weird ingredients, most don't have soy added. Plus, he loves them.
- Raisins. Really, you can't go wrong.
- Saltines. I hate Saltines. Logan loves them.
- Sunbutter. Logan loves Sunbutter on Saltines, on apples or bananas, on waffles or toast, or to eat with a spoon. He gets it from me.
- Justin's almond butters. See above.
- Kashi GF waffles. We're not GF, but they are soy-free. And the kid eats them all the time.
- Oscar Mayer All Beef Hot Dogs. For emergencies.
- Daiya Cheezy Mac. He likes the hot dogs mixed in.
- Annie's Bunnies are always a hit.
- Components for hummus. He can eat it like it's going out of style.
- Silk Original Almond Milk or Cashew Milk
- So Delicious Coconut Milk yogurts
- Bread – we rotate the type based on what's on sale but typically use a sprouted grain
- Enjoy Life bars
So there you have it, friends! Some of Logan's essentials! Some of these items we buy at Walmart and some we but at the Marquette Food Co-op.
What are your allergy-friendly shopping essentials?